I could not even sleep for a single second and after trying several times, I knew what I need to do. I woke up and drove back to the hospital to find answer to all my curiosity and anxiousness.

I reached the hospital and pressed the lift button again hoping to be greeted by the same liftman. I was fortunate to find him. He greeted and enquired as to which floor I intended to go. I said Seventh and he pressed the digit seven on the lift board.

The lift started to move upwards.

I could not hold myself and started a conversation by asking the liftman's his name. He replied, Ganga Ram, sir!! I felt a little confident and comfortable after breaking the ice. I wanted to ask him as to why was he crying in the afternoon but as soon as I started off, the lift reached the Seventh floor and the doors opened with people flittering by. I had to step out. I got down and meet Aayush and his family. One of his neighbors told me that doctors came in for the test and said that Aayush was now improving. There was a much calm and less tense environment this time in and around the ward where Aayush was admitted. I had brought a flower bouquet and a Get Well Soon card, which I gave him.

After meeting and enquiring about Aayush’s health, I wanted to quench my innocuous thirst for knowing the about the liftman and the Child ward. After spending about half an hour with Aayush’s family I moved towards the lift to reach fifth floor where the Child ward was there.

This time Aayush’s mother accompanied me to the lift. The lift came but was going up; I stepped in. I was greeted by the liftman, but this time the voice looked much different. I looked at the face of the liftman more clearly and to my surprise the liftman had been changed or perhaps he was done for the day.
I was disheartened and wanted to ask this liftman about Ganga Ram. Something stopped me, may it was hesitation and thus I remained silent this time. I asked the liftman to go to fifth floor.

As the lift bell ran at the fifth floor I stepped out and went straight at the ward where the liftman was crying. I saw a Boy lying on the bed covered with mesh of pipes and machines all over his body and Ganga Ram, the lift man sitting beside him.

I enquired with the ward boy and he told me that the boy who is being operated is the son of the liftman. He also added that the boy was operated as he had been rushed down by a fast moving car on the highway when he was trying to cross the road. His both legs were totally crushed and there was little scope of recovery as he needed multiple surgeries. The guy who did this mishap did not even bother to stop and take the child to hospital. I turned pale and yellow. I was filled with a sudden question. How can God be so insensitive and cruel?

I was filled with anger and resentment at the same time; I asked the ward boy if they had any clue that the person was by whom Ganga ram’s son had been injured. Ward boy was clueless but then said that their son had told a vehicle number which police had noted. I asked him to complaint to police.

I wanted to know more about the liftman and his family to which the ward boy answered hurriedly. “The liftman works to keep his son alive”. He has no money left to operate his son and thus was working in the hospital as the liftman.

I could not stop anymore and went straight into the ward to meet the liftman Ganga Ram and his son Ravi. Ganga Ram broke into tears when I enquired about his son’s health. He stood up and started walking out of the ward. I followed him.

He told me that doctor say they need money to keep his son alive which he didn’t has. He also told me that his background as a farmer. He had already sold all his land and was working day and night to collect money to fill pockets of the traders called Doctors, so that they do not stop his son’s treatment.

As we were talking, I noticed a new pair of shoes outside the ward where Ganga Ram’s son was admitted. Ganga Ram noticed me and told me that they were of his son. He said that Ravi loved this pair of shoes a lot. I could read the question in his eyes. This is the tyranny of life, sometimes we don’t have things and sometimes we don’t have the kismet to use them. As his son was half paralyzed, he doubted would his son ever be able to stand forget about walking with this pair of shoes. For a while I doubted whether my success is worth what I have spent for it. I was suddenly disdained with helplessness of human race. I now realized the depth of old saying “I cried that I had no shoes until I saw a man who had no feet”. In college days we used to laugh at this verse now it seems to be a bitter truth of life.

[
To be continued...]