I took a direct taxi from the airport to the hospital as I wanted to reach before it was too late. The flash back of the old days came live as I passed each lane and street and in no time I realized that I reached the hospital. I boldly took the first time into the hospital compound. I knew I had to go to seventh floor so I pressed the lift button. I could see the lift coming down slowing from the top to the ground floor. I was eagerly waiting to meet my friend.


The steel doors of the lift opened and I entered. The liftman greeted me and asked me the floor number I intended to go to. I responded and the lift stated to move upwards. I could feel the fight between life and death as I reached the seventh floor. There is so much pain in this world and we humans fight endlessly to survive.

As soon as I reached the seventh floor I was searching for the ward where Aayush was admitted. One of his cousins recognized and approached me with a hand shake and a casual smile. I responded.

I was eager to go into the ward to meet my friend but was denied by the ward boy at the door. On enquiry he said the doctor was doing some critical tests. Outside the ward room I could see his mother and father and the tense look on their face further shook me. The Pain, Grief and Sorrow know no address.

I soon realized the intensity of the situation by their facial expression. I gained some courage and approached them. I touched their feet and greeted them and they blessed me.

I was curious to know how all this happened. He was an active smoker and it seems to be the reason said one of his family members standing outside the ward in response. He further added saying that doctors were still carrying on some tests to reach any conclusion. The next forty eight hours were critical said the doctor when he came outside after the check up.


I could not stop myself and showed my curiosity to meet him. I was taken in by his cousin. I could see Aayush’s face covered with a mask. He was conscious and could see me. He tried but could not utter a word, but I could read his eyes. I could see how happy he was to see me and I too had the same feeling.


When nothing seems to work people take the shelter of God and so was what Aayush’s family was doing. I came out and I could see his mother's hand folded and tears falling from her eyes, as if she was praying to God for his son.


I went and wiped tears from her cheeks. She hugged me and broke off. I consoled her and made her drink water. She gulped in the complete glass of water as if he did not have anything since last night.


Suddenly I heard the scream from one of the ward and after that there were cries, pain and grief all over. One more life lost the fight to survive. That scream shake and broke me. My breath started to choke and I was filled with depression. I could not stand anymore their so I decided to go and come after a while.


I took permission to leave on the pretext of coming in the evening. I was too tired from my fourteen hours long flight from United States. I decided to go by stairs to exercise my leg muscles which were by now jamming.

I started to walk down the stairs one after the other. Soon I reached the fifth floor where there were children wards. There I saw the liftman standing and crying outside a ward. I was totally blank but as I could not stay in such a depressing environment anymore, I continued to go down.
As I reached the fourth floor I heard loud child screams. It was horrifying. The sudden thought of God as the protector came in my mind and I do not know how and when I started murmuring Gods name. As I reached the ground floor I saw a small temple at the entrance of the hospital.


I bowed my head against the same temple and came out. The sun was shining too brightly and it was a hot afternoon. I drove back to my house to meet my family who were waiting impatiently for me.


No doubt I was anxious to meet them too but those child screams somehow were not getting out from my head. I reached home and met everyone. I was served my favorite dishes by my mother. After having lunch I thought of taking a quick nap to get relax. Those screams and the sight of liftman crying outside the ward continuously disturbed me.


[
To be continued...]