As I was in the balcony I could hear one of the neighboring informing the other that the procession was scheduled for next morning.

I did not want to hear this because I knew I would be in a dilemma whether to go or not. I had some important work to be done in the office next day, so I said to myself that I visit their home and pay condolences for the loss rather than wasting the complete day by attending the funeral ceremony.

I could hear my neighbors asking each other about the procession. Everyone making one or the other excuse for not attending it. My decision of not going to the funeral was further solidified and I coolly started cooking dinner. After finishing off with the dinner, I opened my refrigerator and unlocked the beer can. As I was sipping in beer I realized how unpredictable can life be. A man so health like Mr. Banerjee suddenly got stomach pain and now he is no more.

This gave me the lesson to live each day. I do not know when did I went to sleep but was again woken up by the milk man. After taking milk I stood outside the balcony and I could see Mr. Sharma already reading newspaper. I anxiously asked him, are you going to the funeral ceremony to which he said “No”.

He said he has some urgent work which needed to be done so he would not be able to make it. This is ho life is. These were the people who took every damm advantage of Mr. Banerjee when he was alive and now they do not have any time. Soon I started hearing the procession going by. There was hardly anybody who had gathered. I saw around 600 to 700 people attending Mr. Banerjee son's wedding and now when the family needs their support the most, there were only handful now. This is the truth of present times people would share your happiness but no one would be there in trying times.

I could see the bus conductor guiding the driver so that he could pass by easily. Some 9 odd women were standing on the other side of the road all dressed in white sareers. Soon the procession passed by. I could not stop myself and went running down the stairs to attend it. How can I be so selfish? I knew Mr. Banerjee‘s son so I had to go, I said to myself.

I joined the profession to the funeral ground. I could see some 20 people waiting. Some dressed in formals as if they would go to office after the funeral. I could have done the same, if I would not have come in blue rubber slippers. People started to pour in cars, taxis and scooters. I could see a long parking queue outside the cremation ground. The chauffeurs were chatting with each other along with waiting for a signal from their masters. I even heard one of the chuffers asking for a cigarette, to which I objected.

I could hear pain and cries all around. It was really a depressing site. The pyre was ready. Mr. Banerjee’s Son lit the pyre and no time it burnt and the body was back into soil and, air I could see Mr. Banerjee‘s Son standing motionless.

As soon as half the pyre was lit, people started moving and leaving. The chauffeurs without wasting any time went into the cars and started the engine and waited for the signal from their master to drive to the main gate. The funeral came to an end.